Boulder, CO 80305-3328
Shawn is a research scientist with the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) whose main focus is studying the impact of assimilating observations from Uncrewed Aircraft Systems (commonly referred to as drones) on forecast skill within the Rapid Refresh Forecast System (RRFS). Before coming to GSL, Shawn was a student at Penn State, where he studied convective storms and tornadoes using a combination of observations and idealized numerical modeling. Shawn is an outdoor enthusiast who loves running, hiking, and cycling.
- Convective storm processes and predictability
- Data assimilation
- Microphysics parameterizations
- Applications of radar systems to forecasting severe local storms
- Meteorological Applications of Uncrewed Aircraft Systems (UAS)
- Observing System Simulation Experiments (OSSE)
- Ph.D., Meteorology and Atmospheric Science, Pennsylvania State University, 2022
- M.S., Meteorology and Atmospheric Science, Pennsylvania State University, 2019
- B.S., Meteorology and Atmospheric Science, Pennsylvania State University, 2019
Murdzek, S. S., Y. P. Richardson, P. M. Markowski, and M. R. Kumjian, 2022: How the environmental lifting condensation level affects the sensitivity of simulated convective storm cold pools to the microphysics parameterization. Mon. Wea. Rev., 150, 2527–2552, https://doi.org/10.1175/MWR-D-21-0258.1.
Murdzek, S. S., P. M. Markowski, Y. P. Richardson, and M. R. Kumjian, 2021: Should reversible convective inhibition be used when determining the inflow layer of a convective storm? J. Atmos. Sci., 78, 3047–3067, https://doi-org/10.1175/JAS-D-21-0069.1.
Murdzek, S. S., P. M. Markowski, and Y. P. Richardson, 2020: Simultaneous dual-Doppler and mobile mesonet observations of streamwise vorticity currents in three supercells. Mon. Wea. Rev., 148, 4859–4874, https://doi.org/10.1175/MWR-D-20-0239.1.
Murdzek, S. S., P. M. Markowski, Y. P. Richardson, and R. L. Tanamachi, 2020: Processes preventing the development of a significant tornado in a Colorado supercell on 26 May 2010. Mon. Wea. Rev., 148, 1753–1778, https://doi.org/10.1175/MWR-D-19-0288.1.
Professional Memberships and Service
- AMS member and journal reviewer
- AGU journal reviewer
- NWA journal reviewer