Boulder, CO 80305-3328
My research is mainly focused on ensemble-based data assimilation, the design of ensemble forecasting systems, and ensemble statistical post-processing. As a part of research related to an ensemble forecasting design, for both data assimilation and ensemble forecasting application, I have been extensively involved in the development and testing of the stochastic physics application within HRRR Ensemble (HRRRE) and HRRR DA system (HRRRDAS). The evaluated stochastic approaches have been proven as beneficial and have been recommended, upon further evaluation, for inclusion into the next-generation Rapid Refresh Forecasting System (RRFS). Additional data assimilation activities include the development of approaches and algorithms for dynamical localization of background error covariance matrix. In the near term, a part of my research focus will be on the utilization of Machine Learning algorithms in the advancement of data assimilation aspects, model physics, and ensemble output post-processing.
- Ensemble Data Assimilation
- Ensemble Forecasting
- Ensemble Statistical Post-Processing
- Physical Parameterizations
- 2005 Doctor of Philosophy, Iowa State University Geological and Atmospheric Sciences; Ames, Iowa, USA
- 2002 Master of Science, Iowa State University Geological and Atmospheric Sciences; Ames, Iowa, USA
- 1996 MS, Meteorology, University of Belgrade; Belgrade, Yugoslavia
- 2020-present: Advanced Technology Division, HPC Branch Chief and Scientist
- 2013-2020: Scientist III/Project Lead/Data Assimilation Liaison for the Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere (CIRA) at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- 2011- 2012: Principal Scientist at Precision Wind, Inc., full time
- 2006-2011: Postdoc/Scientist I/Scientist II for the Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere (CIRA) at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, full-time
- 2000-2005: Graduate Research Assistant at Iowa State University
- 1996-2000: Weather Forecasting Office/ Measurement Laboratory- Federal Hydro-meteorological Institute, Belgrade, Yugoslavia
Honors and Awards
- 2010 CIRA/Colorado State University Research Initiative Award
- 2005 Iowa State University Research Excellence Award
- Iowa State University Women Club (ISUWC) International Award
- AMS member
- AGU member
- Data Assimilation Liaison between the GSL and Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere (CIRA)
Jankov Isidora, Jeffrey Beck, Jamie Wolff, Michele Harrold, Joseph Olson, Tatiana Smirnova, and Curtis Alexander, 2019: Stochastic Parameter Perturbation in a HRRR-Based Ensemble, Monthly Weather Review, 147, 153-173.
Du J., Berner J., Buizza R., Charron M., Houtekamer P., Hou D., Jankov I., Mu M., Wang X., Wei M., Yuan H., Ensemble Methods for Meteorological Predictions, Handbook of Hydrometeorological Ensemble Forecasting, 2018: 1-52.
Benjamin Blake, Jacob R. Carley, Trevor Alcott, Isidora Jankov, Matthew E. Payle, Sarah Perfater and Benjamin Albright, 2018: An Adaptive Approach for the Calculation of Ensemble Grid-Point Probabilities. Weather and Forecasting, no.4, 1063-1080.
Jankov Isidora, Judith Berner, Jeffrey Beck, Hongli Jiang; Joseph Olson, Georg Grell; Tatiana Smirnova; Stanley Benjamin; John Brown 2016: A Performance Comparison Between Multi-Physics and Stochastic Approaches Within a North American RAP Ensemble, Monthly Weather Review, 145 no. 4, 1161-1179.
Hongli Yiang, S. Albers, Y. Xie, Z. Toth, I. Jankov, M. Scotten, Joseph Picca, G. Stumpf and D. Kingfield, D. Birkenheuer, and B. Motta: Real-Time Applications of the Variational Version of the Local Analysis and Prediction System (vLAPS). Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, December 2015.
Edward I. Tollerud, B. Etherton, Z. Toth, I. Jankov, T. L. Jensen, H. Yuan, L. S. Wharton, P. T. McCaslin, E. Mirvis, B. Kuo, B. G. Brown, L. Nance, S. E. Koch, and F. A. Eckel 2012: The DTC Ensembles Task: A New Testing and Evaluation Facility for Mesoscale Ensembles. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society Volume
Allen B. White, B. Colman, G. M. Carter, F. M. Ralph, R. S. Webb, D. G. Brandon, C. W. King, P. J. Neiman, D. J. Gottas, I. Jankov, K. F. Brill, Y. Zhu, K. Cook, H. E. Buehner, H. Opitz, D. W. Reynolds, L. J. Schick 2012: NOAA's Rapid Response to the Howard A. Hanson Dam Flood Risk Management Crisis. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society Volume 93, Issue 2 (February 2012) pp. 189-207
Jankov Isidora, Lewis D. Grasso, Manajit Sengupta, Paul J. Neiman, Dusanka Zupanski, Milija Zupanski, Daniel Lindsey, Donald W. Hillger, Daniel L. Birkenheuer, Renate Brummer, Huiling Yuan 2011: An Evaluation of Five ARW-WRF Microphysics Schemes Using Synthetic GOES Imagery for an Atmospheric River Event Affecting the California Coast, Journal of Hydrometeorology, Volume 12, Issue 4 (August 2011) pp. 618-633
Dusanka Zupanski, Zupanski Milija, Grasso Lewis, Brummer Renate, Jankov Isidora, Lindsey Daniel, Sengupta Manajit, DeMaria Mark, 2009: Assimilating synthetic GOES-R radiances in cloudy conditions using an ensemble-based method. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 32, issue 24, pp. 9637-9659
Jankov Isidora, J-W Bao, P. Neiman, P. Schultz, H. Yuan, A. White, 2009: Evaluation and Comparison of Microphysical Algorithms in WRF-ARW Model Simulations of Atmospheric River Events Affecting the California Coast, Journal of Hydrometeorology 10, 847-870
Tomislava Vukicevic, Isidora Jankov, and John McGinley, 2008: Diagnosis and optimization of ensemble forecasts, Mon. Wea. Rev. 136, 1054-1074.
Jankov, Isidora, Paul J. Schultz, Christopher J. Anderson and Steven E. Koch, 2007: The impact of different physical parameterizations and their interactions on cold season QPF, Journal of Hydrometeorology, 8, 1141-1151.
Jankov, Isidora, William A., Jr. Gallus, Moti Segal, and Steven E. Koch, 2007: Influence of initial conditions on the WRF-ARW model QPF response to physical parameterization changes, Wea. Forecasting, 22, 501-519.
Jankov, Isidora, William A., Jr. Gallus, Moti Segal, and Steven E. Koch, 2005: The impact of different WRF model physical parameterizations and their interactions on warm season MCS rainfall. Wea. Forecasting, 20, 1048-1060.
Gallus, William A., Jr., James Correia, and Isidora Jankov, 2005: The 4 June 1999 derecho event: A particularly difficult challenge for numerical weather prediction. Wea. Forecasting, 20, 705-728.
Jankov, Isidora, and William. A., Jr. Gallus, 2004a: MCS rainfall forecast accuracy as a function of large-scale forcing. Wea. Forecasting, 19, 428-439.
Jankov, Isidora and William A., Jr. Gallus, 2004b: Contrast between good and bad forecasts of warm season MCS rainfall. J. Hydrology, 288, 122-152.