Information & Technology Services Division (ITS)
The Information & Technology Services Division (ITS) manages the computer facilities infrastructure, communication networks, data distribution systems and associated peripherals used by the Global Systems Laboratory (GSL) to accomplish their world-class applied research and directed development mission.
ITS designs, develops, and maintains the GSL Central Computer Facility which acquires, processes, and stores a large variety of meteorological data in real-time. GSL is one of NOAA’s three sites that host research and development high-performance computing systems shared by the entire NOAA community.
ITS has the expertise to:
- Manage 6,800 sqft of raised floor data center space encompassing three multi-tenant data centers. Each data center is designed to handle rigorous environmental and electrical demands. State-of-the-art ambient air cooling, a fire protection system, and many sophisticated facilities environmental monitoring and control safeguards support a highly reliable and resilient computing environment.
- Design, develop and maintain a data acquisition, storage, and distribution system for a wide array of internal and external customers.
- Provide network solutions to ensure scalability, resiliency and high-speed performance while leveraging emerging technologies to achieve service quality objectives.
- Monitor facilities, networks, and applications across converging information and communications technologies.
- Provide storage and backup capabilities for multiple platforms across numerous Laboratories and customers.
- Provide a secure and compliant computing environment that continuously monitors vulnerabilities, configuration, and risk management activities.
- Provide a balanced HPC technology to achieve NOAA science objectives. Test and develop High-Performance Computing technologies.
- Provide evaluation, adoption, and utilization within a multi-vendor, multi-tenant commercial cloud environment.